i read pretty

Friday, March 02, 2007

avoidance & acquisition

i generally brave all forms of impending doom & looming project completion dates in the same manner: i buy books & read them like i'm ...well, like i'm not tying up my bachelor of design degree.

yeah, i do. on the way to a partner project meeting, i innocently slip into Pages & ask for a book they likely have in stock. today? moby dick. while they drag it off the shelf i: stuff my hands in my pockets; lean to peek at the 'new books' table; rock back & forth on my heels & lift my chin to see the way-up-high books on the 'staff recommendations' shelf; pull in my lower lip & poke around the fiction shelves...the anthologies... before you know it, i have an armload of literary bid-ness.

my handles on the little plastic Pages bag actually started ripping right off, halfway to my apartment.

also, i had to sit through aforementioned partner project, which was interrupted by me constantly stopping him and saying, "hey look what else i got!" while pulling out another book from the bag he started referring to as, "the clown car bag". it was more appropriate than funny.

. moby dick / herman melville
(see that jonathan? oh, it happened. i snuck in 5 pages of reading &, oh boy, i am excited.)
. the people of paper / salvador plascencia
. dharma bums / jack kerouac
(if you're wondering why–it's because penguin has started a classic deluxe edition, where their classic novels are illustrated by graphic novelists. hooray! it is the most unpretentious, nice cover for a kerouac novel i've ever seen. also, no portrait.)
. infinite jest / david foster wallace
(i am a big beautiful book fanatic & hey, rhianna liked it more than not...is $17.oo too much to drop for a brick of d.f.w. goodness? i named my fish after him, so i should have something of my own.)
. bloodletting & miraculous cures / vincent lam
(i was the only kid to ever go through my school's 5th grade PE class & do a report on bloodletting.)

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Jonathan Ball said...

glad you got moby dick, hope you are liking it. i accidently typed "licking it" but then corrected it. but i hope that you lick it also.

i interviewed lam for the herald, the book is good but it's not giller-good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home